Legal Navigator Privacy Notice
Legal Services Corporation (“LSC”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through compliance with this policy.
Please review this Privacy Notice to learn about:
- The personal information we, LSC, collect from you at our Website, www.legalnav.org,
- The personal information you may provide at our Website,
- How we may use and maintain that information,
- How we protect that information, and
- With whom we may share that information.
This policy also provides information to contact us to learn more about our privacy practices.
The policy applies to information we collect:
- On our Website,
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and our Website,
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by LSC or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on our Website.
Information We Collect About You
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
Number of returning users and rate of returning users versus new visitors
- General analytics data such as page that users first enter, referral source, specific search terms, bounce, average session duration, average time spent per page, percentage of visits by subject matter, unique pageviews, number of pages accessed per session, and exit page
- Navigation details about curated experiences including internal events within curated experiences, leaving the interview to read an article that the interview, moving backward in the interview, bounce rate from internal search results (exiting the site), and bounce rate from initial question on a guided interview (exiting the site)
- Search keywords and search results destination
- Navigation details regarding topic icons including a record of the topic icons that user clicks on and all actions user takes within the topics
- Individual user/session data including unique session ID, unique anonymous user ID, user device type, user browser, user geolocation data, user email address (if provided), user name (if provided), and user demographics
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
Information that You Give Us
We ask for some personal information to create a profile, including your:
- First and Last Name,
- Email address,
- Object Identifier (oID) from the Microsoft account used to create your user account, and
- Your answers to curated experiences.
We store some information when you have a profile and want to come back to revisit what you’ve previously done in Legal Navigator. This includes:
- Your answers to curated experiences,
- Your personalized plan, and
- Any Website resources (i.e., organizations, articles, etc.) that you have chosen to save.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Your search queries on the Website.
Information Collected Automatically
Cookies: Our Website may use web, HTML5, and Flash cookies. These allow us to identify your browser and remember your information, settings, and your visits at the Website. We may also use other types of local storage, such as browser- or plugin-based local storage. Most browsers give you the option of enabling, restricting, and disabling cookies. You can control Flash cookies by visiting Adobe’s FlashPlayer Settings or Settings Manager.
Note: If you disable cookies, you will not be able to use all the features of our Website or our web services. That’s because the system needs to remember you to complete your forms and remember the information you provided before.
Our web server log may:
- Collect information about your device, operating system, browser, access domain, and other system settings,
- Identify your system’s language and your country and time zone, and
- Record the page that referred you to our Website, your device’s IP address, and the pages you visit at our Website.
We and our service providers may use analytic services from other companies, such as Heap, to learn how visitors use our Website. These services may know certain limited information about you, including your geolocation or IP address, and they share information with us and our service providers about how you use our Website.
Your usage information helps us and our service providers to:
- Troubleshoot any problems and improve our Website,
- Improve the products and services offered by our service providers,
- Meet our legal duties and comply with policies and procedures, and
- Know if you are a new or returning visitor.
Our service providers are committed to the responsible use of non-personally identifiable user data solely for analytics purposes.
What We Do with Your Information
The information you provide at our Website may be used to:
- Present our Website and its contents to you,
- Manage and improve the services we provide and how we communicate with you,
- Communicate with you about your account and information at our Website,
- Perform data analytics,
- Develop new services, or
The information you provide at our Website may be used in any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
The information you provide at our Website may be used for any other purpose with your consent.
If we use your information in ways other than those listed here, we will notify you when that happens.
Whom We May Share Your Information With
Subsidiaries and Affiliates
We may share your personal information as described in this policy with outside service providers, such as software developers we hire to debug or improve our program, or developers of third-party software components (e.g., A2J Author). These providers may only use or disclose your personal information to provide services to us, to debug or make improvements to their software, or to comply with legal requirements. These providers are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential.
Researchers / Data Analysts
We and our service providers may also share personal information for research, academic studies, data analysis, and reports. Information for these purposes is always aggregated. That means none of the information is linked to a particular person. For example, the data we share may be used to say how many users (not the names of) live in New York. We may also share with others how many people (not who) visited our Website.
Persons We May Disclose to with Your Consent
We do not share information from:
- Small categories of specific information that contain fewer than 5 people, or
- Specific categories of personal information, such as names and login and access details.
When Information Sharing Is Required
For legal reasons – We may share your personal information if we have good reasons to believe we need to do so to:
- Enforce our Terms of Service,
- Protect our rights, operations, or users,
- Comply with applicable law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena,
- Respond to a request from a government agency, such as law enforcement or an investigation of an illegal activity, or
- Prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss.
- If our business structure changes
- If we sell or transfer some or all of our business or assets, such as during a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation, we may transfer your personal information to a third party. But that third party must agree to protect your personal information according to the terms of this Notice.
You May Change Your Information
You may change your personal information on the profile page for your account(s) at our Website, www.legalnav.org.
How We Protect Personal Information
We have administrative, software, and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide at our Website against accidental, unauthorized, or illegal access, disclosure, destruction, loss, change, and other illegal use. Though we do our best to protect your personal information, any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Links to Other Websites
Our Website lists links to other websites that are not part of our organization. We list those links to make it easier for you to get information at their sites. We do not have control over the content or privacy policies at those sites. It’s a good idea to look at the Privacy Notices of those websites before you use them.
Questions and Our Contact Information
Please send any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice. You may also contact us about your preferences or personal information you provided at our site. Just let us know you provided that information. In some instances, we cannot delete personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Write: Legal Services Corporation, 3333 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007